Get Data Moving 1

Thread: Mining without online logs - is it possible?

sql_nerd is offline Junior Member

Mining from downstream database - is it possible?

Hi,

Hoping to find out if I'll be able to set up CDC from Oracle to SQL using the Attunity component provided in SQL 2014.

I have successfully tested Attunity CDC on a local instance of Oracle to local MSSQL, so I know it works when Attunity can access the online database instance.

Our production environment is set up differently, though.

Let's say we have Oracle production database, "PROD". Logging is enabled on all the required tables, but then the logs are shipped downstream away from this server to a different server & database, "MINE".

Question: will the Attunity CDC be able to read changes from the MINE database? Or do the archive logs need to be available on the same source / online database (PROD)?
    I understand an initial full load would need to happen from PROD, but after that, can I just get changes from MINE, without having access to the online database/logs?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks :)
    Last edited by sql_nerd; 01-23-2017 at 12:40 AM. Reason: change of title to more accurately reflect content

sql_nerd is offline Junior Member
    Update: doesn't seem possible. This appears to be where Attunity Replicate comes in; it can read from a downstream mining database.