Load Ingest Data
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: CDC Hung in Processing Status

  1. #1
    wolverinedba is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    CDC Hung in Processing Status

    Our Attunity Oracle Change Data Capture instance has been in Processing status with the details in Currently Processing unchanged for almost 12 hours now despite many changes being made on the Oracle side. I restarted the server, but this changed nothing. When I attempt to use Collect Diagnostics, I get errors: "Waiting for Oracle diagnostics. No response received from Oracle CDC instance. Continue waiting or skip the Oracle diagnostics and continue without it?" and "The snap-in is not responding. To return to MMC and check the status of the snap-in, click Cancel. If you choose to end the snap-in immediately, you will lose and unsaved data. To end the snap-in now, click End Now." I queried the xdbcdc_state and xdbcdc_trace table and there was nothing noteworthy in there. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem? I do not want to reset and lose the changes that have been made in Oracle since this hung.


    Additional information: When I attempt to stop the service I get an error pop saying the was an error while attempting to stop the service. If I manually stop the service from services.msc, the Attunity UI does not reflect that the service is stopped. It still shows the status as Processing.
    Last edited by wolverinedba; 12-08-2017 at 09:39 AM.

  2. #2
    Hein is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nashua, NH - USA.
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinedba View Post
    Our CDC instance has been in Processing status with the details in Currently Processing unchanged<snip>
    This forum is all about Attunity provided products, notably Replicate.
    The problem description does not 'sound' like an Attunity product.
    Please provide some more details

    - Replicate product + version (GoldenGate? SSIS? Streams? Replicate?)
    - Replicate source (Oracle) / version
    - Replicate target,

    If it is Replicate the firs step should be to determine the source and target latencies, how many changes are read waiting for commit from source, how many are waiting to be pushed and committed to the target.

    Good luck!
    Hein

  3. #3
    wolverinedba is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hein View Post
    This forum is all about Attunity provided products, notably Replicate.
    The problem description does not 'sound' like an Attunity product.
    Please provide some more details

    - Replicate product + version (GoldenGate? SSIS? Streams? Replicate?)
    - Replicate source (Oracle) / version
    - Replicate target,

    If it is Replicate the firs step should be to determine the source and target latencies, how many changes are read waiting for commit from source, how many are waiting to be pushed and committed to the target.

    Good luck!
    Hein
    I'm referring to Attunity Oracle Change Data Capture (CDC). This is the correct forum and thread. I will update the original post to be abundantly clear.

  4. #4
    Hein is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nashua, NH - USA.
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinedba View Post
    I'm referring to Attunity Oracle Change Data Capture (CDC). This is the correct forum and thread. I will update the original post to be abundantly clear.
    Thanks for clarifying, I was a bit slow on the uptake. My bad.
    I should have looked at the full Forum path.
    You are referring to the Microsoft SSIS integrate component.
    As discussed in...
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...y-how-to-guide

    I'll ask aroudn to see who can provide troubleshooting hints.
    You may want to submit a support call.
    Admittedly I don't even know whether you should ask Microsoft first and have them escalate to Attunity if needed, or ask Attunity.

    Hopefully someone will have a better reply here.

    Hein

  5. #5
    wolverinedba is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hein View Post
    Thanks for clarifying, I was a bit slow on the uptake. My bad.
    I should have looked at the full Forum path.
    You are referring to the Microsoft SSIS integrate component.
    As discussed in...
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...y-how-to-guide

    I'll ask aroudn to see who can provide troubleshooting hints.
    You may want to submit a support call.
    Admittedly I don't even know whether you should ask Microsoft first and have them escalate to Attunity if needed, or ask Attunity.

    Hopefully someone will have a better reply here.

    Hein
    Eventually I was able to successfully stop the service and start it back up again, and it continued processing records where it had left off when it froze. I'm unsure what changed since I had tried stopping and restarting before, including rebooting the whole server. However, I am still interested in hearing if anyone else has experience something similar because I do not know the root cause, and I'm not sure what I did to fix it. This solution is in place on an important production server, and reliability is important. I'd like to feel comfortable that if this happens again I can fix it quicker. There was a network outage around the time that the service hung, but that may or may not be relevant.

  6. #6
    wolverinedba is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Update

    This has happened at least a couple more times in the months since my original post. I've never seen another post with this problem and a solution. In case there are others out there, I figured I'd let you know how I've been dealing with this occasional issue. I have never nailed down a cause or a specific solution, however, the two things I tried are:
    • Hitting Stop, waiting for it to time out, and then hitting Stop again, over and over until it decides to actually stop. I did this for at least half an hour one time before it finally responded and stopped. I was then able to Start it again, and it continued where it left off.
    • Updating the xdbcdc_state table directly. This seems dangerous, and it might be, so I'm not necessarily recommending this, but if you are desperate, you may want to try it. It worked for me in this case. After executing the update statement below, the GUI displayed Stopped, I was able to click Start, and it resumed processing.
      • UPDATE [cdc].[xdbcdc_state] SET status = 'STOPPED', sub_status = 'STOP', active = 0

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •