Get Data Moving 1

Thread: CDC Instance into Logger Phase after a few days

A8User is offline Junior Member

CDC Instance into Logger Phase after a few days

Hi Gadi,

Another question about a CDC instance.

We finally finished development in our Dev environment and pushed all of our ETL (and therefore the CDC instance) To QA. This is a new source Oracle system. Once created, the CDC instance will run perfectly fine for several days- and then it will jump into Logger mode without warning.

The Log file is attached. (Note, I replaced the name of my SQL Server with ***)

I essentially have two questions:

1. Does this log message give any information that could help identify what's causing this error? We didn't see anything like this in DEV. If it doesn't, are there any options to the CDC instance I can turn on to generate a more detailed log file upon switching to logger?

2. Is there a way to set up a notification upon a CDC instance stopping, erroring, or going into logger phase?

Thanks, and I appreciate your help.

Mark
    Attached Files Attached Files

Update. After being in "Processing" mode several more days, it again returned to "LOGGER" phase. I had the advanced option "trace" set to "1" this time, and the attached log was generated.

I'm still at a loss, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yossi Shitrit is offline US Technical Team
    Hello Mark,

Please see step 2 in the following post:
    http://www.attunity.com/forums/chang...cing-2122.html

Basically, turn on detailed tracing by setting the "trace" property to "ON". Then attach the results of 'collect diagnostics'.
    Btw, when this problem happens, how do you workaround the LOGGER status and back to Possessing?

Thanks,
    Yossi
    To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us

Yossi,

Thanks for the reply. I had added the "trace" property, but thought the "value" should be 1. I edited this so the value is now "ON", so hopefully the next one will give me better logging information.

In order to get it back from "LOGGER" to "PROCESSING" I have to reset the instance. I've tried adding and removing tables (to identify if one table was causing an issue) and this didn't help- even when every table was removed. Simply resetting the instance does send it back to "PROCESSING" (Even though I have to reload the DWH).

I am hoping that there is a process on the Oracle side causing this issue- and if we get good logging information we can bring it to the DBA and get it fixed. But, this is just conjecture until we get some proof.

Thanks for your help.

Gadi.Farhat is offline Development Manager
    Hi Mark,

This error indicates that the CDC instance fails to reas a redo log. Usually, this is cause by deleting the Oracle archive redo logs before they are processed by the CDC Instance.

Please verify with the DBA that the archive logs are available for enough time before any backup process is deleting them. If the problem still exist, the trace should give more information on the redo log which the CDC Instance is failing to add. In this case, make sure you run a select * from the v$archived_log view and attach the results.

Regards,

Gadi
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us

Hi Gadi,

I'll work with the DBA to nail down this process.

Question- what is the standard practice for working around this? I would assume that any time you delete the redo log it's going to throw the CDC instance into Logger. What's best practice with regards to Log Deletion with Attunity CDC in mind? (I'm aware that there are other considerations, I just want to be armed with as much info as I can for when I meet with the DBA).

Thanks,

Mark

Gadi.Farhat is offline Development Manager
    Hi Mark,

You can restore the deleted archive logs from backup and the CDC instance should resume processing automatically.

Regards,

Gadi
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us