Thread: CDC Table Disappears from CDC Designer and SQL database

AlxB is offline Junior Member

CDC Table Disappears from CDC Designer and SQL database

Hello, I am testing the CDC service to see if we want to use it in a future BI project.

Everything is setup on the oracle and SQL server side. I do have 2 tables that are working/syncing just fine.
    The third table, however, when added and service started completely disappears out of the designer with all tables deleted in the SQL database.
    The table has many columns which I thought might be the reason. However, limiting it down to ten columns still doesn't do the trick.
    Five selected columns, at the end, will work.

I do understand the there are incompatible columns the will be NULLED out but the ten I tested were all compatible.
    Also, there is no error code collected when locking at the collected diagnostics file. Is there another error log that I am just not aware of?

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Alex

Log File add

After trying to add the table again an error was actually now logged. Please see below:

timestamp,type,node,status,sub_status,status_messa ge,source, text_data,binary_data
    "1/15/2014 5:14:35 PM","INFO","BISDEV","RUNNING","INIT","ORACDC323I:T he metadata validation for Oracle table cdc.PENTA_WO_TRANS_DTL_CT failed. Column UDF_XML_DATA index was changed.","source","",""
    "1/15/2014 5:14:35 PM","INFO","BISDEV","RUNNING","INIT","ORACDC310I:C DC was disabled for the mirror table PENTA.WO_TRANS_DTL because of metadata changes.","engine","",""
    "1/15/2014 5:14:35 PM","INFO","BISDEV","RUNNING","INIT","ORACDC311I:T he mirror table PENTA.WO_TRANS_DTL was dropped because of metadata changes.","engine","",""
    "1/15/2014 5:14:35 PM","INFO","BISDEV","RUNNING","INIT","ORACDC311I:T he mirror table PENTA.WO_TRANS_DTL was dropped because of metadata changes.","engine","",""
    "1/15/2014 5:36:02 PM","INFO","BISDEV","RUNNING","IDLE","ORACDC303I:T he Oracle CDC instance for service PentaCDC and database PentaCDC received a reconfigure signal.","service","",""
    "1/15/2014 5:36:02 PM","INFO","BISDEV","RUNNING","IDLE","ORACDC305I:T he value of the option 'source_env_report' was changed to 1.","infrastructure","",""

shadercode is offline Junior Member
    This is a bug that has been fixed, and must be patched on your system.

Bug 1499658 KB 2894025

Mirror tables are dropped when you use "Change Data Capture for Oracle by Attunity" on a server that is running SQL Server 2012

The fix is part of Cumulative Update 7 for SQL Server 2012. You must be running SQL Server 2012 SP1. Sorry I don't have more time to explain -- meetings!

Got it!

Thank you! I was going to apply the patch today.
    We figured out that the XML column type creates a column unused_x.
    When you select columns after this one the table gets dropped.

Pretty weird!
    Last edited by AlxB; 01-17-2014 at 12:44 PM.

No Change

I applied the patch, recreated the instance but the only change is that the service now goes into pause mode after the table was dropped. I read about this and you can do this step manually. The hotfix basically just made that change. At the end, it didn't solve the problem. I think it is time that someone from Attunity provides some guidance here in this forum (please).

Problem Solved

The XML column,in my case, trows of the SQL Instance CDC script to create the mirror table and adds the column called unused_1.
    Here are the steps that I did to get it to work.

1. Create the table in the CDC Designer console as you usually would.
    2. Copy the CDC instance deployment script (from the right of the screen)
    3. Remove the table that is being dropped when data is added.
    4. Copy the table creation and CDC section from the script, remove the unused_ column, and execute.
    5. The mirror table is now created and CDC is activated on it.
    6. Check that the table is in the CDC designer.
    7. Add data to the oracle table and see the changes being recorded.

Do more testing of data being moved.

I hope this helps! I took me quite a while to figure this work around out and I hope it will be fixed in future versions.
    Last edited by AlxB; 01-17-2014 at 03:08 PM.