Get Data Moving 1

Thread: Change table disappeared from CDC instance. Both _CT table and mirror table are gone

shadercode is offline Junior Member

Change table disappeared from CDC instance. Both _CT table and mirror table are gone

We've been running CDC on six Oracle tables for a few days now. Today, all I did was start the CDC instance and run it for thirty minutes, and then stop it again. Now, I have only five CDC tables in my SQL Server database. The corresponding mirror table (outside the cdc schema) is gone as well.

Upon further investigation, the diagnostic trace log states that the table was dropped purposely:

"1/14/2014 10:55:11 PM","INFO","HOST","RUNNING","IDLE","ORACDC322I:The metadata validation for Oracle table cdc.AR_HZ_LOCATIONS_CT failed. Column VALIDATION_STATUS_CODE index is out of range.","source","",""
    "1/14/2014 10:55:12 PM","INFO","HOST","RUNNING","IDLE","ORACDC310I:CDC was disabled for the mirror table AR.HZ_LOCATIONS because of metadata changes.","engine","",""
    "1/14/2014 10:55:12 PM","INFO","HOST","RUNNING","IDLE","ORACDC311I:The mirror table AR.HZ_LOCATIONS was dropped because of metadata changes.","engine","",""

To which index does it refer that is "out of range"? The source table has not undergone any changes at all. Proof from the Oracle data dictionary is here:

OWNER: AR
    TABLE_NAME: HZ_LOCATIONS
    CREATED: 2005-03-12 02:25:22
    LAST_DDL_TIME: 2014-01-08 10:34:17

Furthermore, the Last DDL Time of the index on the column in question was over three years ago.
    Last edited by shadercode; 01-14-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added diagnostics

AlxB is offline Junior Member

Same Problem

Hello,

I have the same problem (see my post). Did you find any solutions for this problem?
    It seems like it could have something to do with the index (position) of the columns tracked but then how would you fix this?

Alex

See knowledge base article KB2894025 for the fix

Please see this page for all the issues that are fixed in Cumulative Update 7 for SQL Server 2012 SP1:

Cumulative update package 7 for SQL Server 2012 SP1

It is bug number 1499658, and the specific knowledgebase article about is KB2894025.

Strangely, the Cumulative Update is downloadable in a half dozen executables, so you will need to determine which one ctains the specific fix. Microsoft doesn't explain that very well.

AlxB is offline Junior Member

Try this

In my case a XML column trows of the SQL Instance CDC script to create the mirror table and adds the column called unused_1.
    Here are the steps that I did to get it to work.

1. Create the table in the CDC Designer console as you usually would.
    2. Copy the CDC instance deployment script (from the right of the screen)
    3. Remove the table that is being dropped when data is added.
    4. Copy the table creation and CDC section from the script, remove the unused_ column, and execute.
    5. The mirror table is now created and CDC is activated on it.
    6. Check that the table is in the CDC designer.
    7. Add data to the oracle table and see the changes being recorded.

Do more testing of data being moved.

I hope this helps! I took me quite a while to figure this work around out and I hope it will be fixed in future versions.

In my case, the problem was caused by a bug that is fixed in Cumulative Update 7 for SQL Server 2012. I replied to this thread a while ago with specifics for finding the patches, but the forum moderators have disallowed the post, probably because it contained a link to a Microsoft site. I hesitate to "encourage" the attunity forum moderators to pay more attention to these forums because they are apt to delete posts and ban users from these forums. A coworker of mine working on the same project has been banned for complaining about lack of support. I am not complaining myself, but I do think these forums suffer from a lack of attention, except in the area of censure.

fastloader is offline Junior Member

CDC Table Disappears from CDC Designer and SQL database

Hi Pal,

Iam getting this error in my client Production and QA server, as you have posted that problem is resolved by installing Cumulative update i want to know that if with install this hotfix which microsoft is providing the CDC service and designer will remain same as like before with all the table added before or it will be like new that we have to create a new instance again, if it is like to create new instance and add all the tables means it wont be a right option in Production server.

Please let me know further how to proceed.