Get Data Moving 1

Thread: how does CDC react when changes to previous loaded tables are made.

RGILLESPI is offline Junior Member

how does CDC react when changes to previous loaded tables are made.

here's what were confronted with

1 a full load was completed for multiple tables in the database. (tables contained LOB columns)
    2 the task was stopped the task, using table transformations, we removed all LOB columns from all tables.
    3 using the advanced run options - started task from current point in time.
    4 task continues to fail each time there is an LOB column change.

the question is.....

What is driving CDC, the table/columns defined at the time of the LOAD (with lob columns)
    or
    does CDC recognize the changes to the tables? (which now has no lob columns) ?

This continuous failure is causing some serious issues with our team and the source DB team.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Bob
    Attunity developer at Ford Motor Co.
    rgille22@ford.com

Hein is offline Senior Member

Maybe a support case is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RGILLESPI View Post
    >> 2 the task was stopped the task, using table transformations, we removed all LOB columns from all tables.
    > > 4 task continues to fail each time there is an LOB column change.
    Hi Bob, Fancy meeting you here!

What is the source DB?

Typically any changed column for a row , lob or non-lob, creates a CDC event.
    Replicate will 'see' that reading the change log.
    For LOB columns replicate typically postpones obtaining the lob value until the change is applied to the target (stored in the CSV file for Hadoop in your case).
    If the lob column is dropped with a transformation, then I would assume (I never verified) that Replicate does not 'bother' fetching the lob column value(s) from the source.
    Therefor I am rather surprised to learn there would be an error with all lob columns removed (as I am sure you were)

To better understand what is happening we really need to see the exact error message from the reptask log, for starters to learn whether it is a source_capture or target_apply error.
    We probably also would really like to see the VERBOSE log for TARGET_APPLY (yes, lobs may be read during target_apply) when the error happens.

Can you reproduce at will in a small configuration? (Low volume of changes, like in a DEV environment)

I suspect we'll need a proper Support Case to provide the level of help needed here.

Regards,
    Hein