Thread: String in CDC database 4x larger than Oracle system

dempsterj is offline Junior Member

String in CDC database 4x larger than Oracle system

We are just starting implement CDC for Oracle, and it was discovered this week that the nvarchar fields in our CDC staging database are 4x longer than the corresponding fields in the Oracle system. For example, a NVARCHAR2(6) in Oracle is a NVARCHAR(24) in the SQL Server CDC database. While there isn't a problem entering shorter data into these fields, it is causing metadata warnings in our SSIS packages. Our Oracle environment uses multi-byte character fields, and this caused a problem with the LogReader querying mechanism, which was resolved with SQL Server 2012 SP 1 CU8. I wonder if there is a related issue in the sizing of columns in the SQL Server database? Is there a fix or workaround for this?
    Last edited by dempsterj; 07-23-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Are there any ideas on this issue? It seems like this is an issue, but I'm not 100% sure. Does anyone from Attunity monitor this forum? I have the ability to submit a Premier Support ticket through Microsoft for this, but communication channels would be much smoother if I could communicate with Attunity directly.

For anyone who has encountered this issue, as of the date of this post, it is in the process of being resolved, and will be available in a future Cumulative Update from Microsoft...keep an eye on upcoming CUs to see if the patch has made it in.