Get Data Moving 1

Thread: HOW TO: Maintain the ETL's CDC Staging Area files

Adeeb Mass'ad is offline Support Manager

HOW TO: Maintain the ETL's CDC Staging Area files

DESCRIPTION

The ETL's CDC Staging Area files are DISAM files which store the changes until the client application consumes them. Even though old changed records are deleted, they are actually marked as deleted. New changes will be written to the deleted records.

In busy production sites the DISAM files may get very large in size which can slow the performance of the system.

RECOMMENDATION

We recommend defragmenting the Staging Area files to better maintain your Staging Area repository, please note of following:
    1. Based on the amount of changes in the specific SA, decide how frequently you want to perform the maintenance.
    For most sites we recommend running the maintenance procedure at least once a week.
    2. Select a point of time where there is the lowest possible activity in your system.

3. The maintenance procedure could be automated by generating a script.
    To defragment and maintain your SA, please refer to the following article which include the DCHECK and DPACK utilities.

The DCHECK utility can be used to check for corruption of DISAM files and rebuild the bad indexes.

While the DPACK utility is used to defragment the DISAM files and rebuilding them without the deleted records. This will cause the files to be smaller in size and contain only the active relevant records.

MAINTENANCE PROCEDURE

The maintenance procedure for the SA should be as follows:
    1. Deactivate the CDC Solutions. Then can be done using the irpcd command line utility:

irpcd disable CDCSolution1
    irpcd disable CDCSolution2

2. Optionally you can run the DCHECK utility on each file to make sure it's not corrupted:

dcheck employees

If the file is corrupt you can use the '-b' to rebuild all indexes.

3. Defragment each file with DPACK:

dpack employees
    dpack sallaries

4. Activate all solutions:

irpcd enable CDCSolution1
    irpcd enable CDCSolution2
    To ease the process we have attached a unix script to automate the process called disam_util.

Run the utility by providing the path to the Staging Area files location.
    Last edited by Adeeb Mass'ad; 05-02-2008 at 07:27 AM.
    To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us

lee.walters is offline Junior Member

Password for IRPCD

Hi

I'm doing some maintenance on our DISAM to ensure that they are all correct and OK. This has been a great article and helped loads but one question;

When I run "irpcd disable CDCSolution1" it asks me always for a password. I can't find anywhere, where a password has been set so am wondering if it's a default password?

In the management console / CDC Configuration window for the Source server (AIS) we haven't entered a username / password and out service is running under local account (windows box)

When I simply press enter a leave it blank I get the following error - I've tried my windows login password but always the same error:

[C043] Failed to connect to host MyHost::tcp:2559; IRPC: Connect failed - Connection refused.

Any help?

Lee Walters

When communicating with the daemon process (IRPCD), you typically need to provide a username and a password. If you do not provide a username then the current account name is used and the password for that account is the matching password you need to provide. Note that the check is performed on the machine running the daemon so if the current account is not valid there, then you need to specify the username explicitly as explained in the help screen of the daemon:

Form2 - Managing the daemon irpcd [-l daemon_location]
    [-u username] [-p password]
    [-t temp-dir] [-f def-dir]
    command [arguments]

Commands: (not case sensitive, uppercase letters denote the command verbs)

APPLIST [app-name or app-mask]
    RELOADINI
    RESETLOG
    SHUTDOWN [{ABORT|OPERATOR} ["why..."]]
    STATUS [workspace-name or"" [VERBOSE]]
    REFRESH [workspace_name ]
    KILL [workspace_name ]
    TEST
    ENABLE [workspace_name]
    DISABLE [workspace_name]
    So, for example, you may do something like:
    irpcd -u scott -p tiger disable CDCSolution1