Get Data Moving 1

Thread: Maximum Connections - openvms

jobrien is offline Junior Member

Maximum Connections - openvms

Attunity Server Log (V5.1.0.4, ALPHA-VMS 32-bit)

Hi there,

we're running attunity on openvms. We configure the pool settings in each workspace and use irpcd to monitor/refresh workspaces as appropriate.

my question: is there any global server setting setting (either in attunity or vms) that sets the maximum number of client connections?

we're getting an error where we are running out of connections and i'm interested in whether this means the workspace connections or generally, connections on the attunity server.

thanks,

jim.

Hitting the max number of client connection may indicate:

1. A client bug where connections are not released (or not closed explicitly and so are released after delay)
    2. There are now more clients than before and, therefore, you need to provision more servers.

In the case of (1) you better fix the problem at the client side. In case of (2) you can increase the number of server instances in the daemon configuration for the relevant workspace. Depending on the type of workload and activity you may also be able to have a single server handle multiple clients (serially - as the OpenVMS server is not running in multi-threaded mode).
    By Dror Harari

To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us

jobrien is offline Junior Member
    absolutely, my focus is on the client code.

Do you have a response for the question...

my question: is there any global server setting setting (either in attunity or vms) that sets the maximum number of client connections?

Hein is offline Senior Member

Attunity: maxNActiveServers, OpenVMS: Authorize PRCLM

Hello Jim,

There can be limits established both in OpenVMS and Attunity.
    The Attunity one is 'nicer' in that it give a more clear and clean message.

In openVMS you can set PRCLM for the workspace account.
    Once that limit is reached, the IRPCD deamon will fail to create a new process, resulting in a failed connection and a message about process limit exceeded in NAVTMP:IRPCD.LOG.

The Attunity 'knob' is Maximum number of server processes (maxNActiveServers).
    The server provisioning section of Workspace Server mode will also impact resources used but the key is maxNActiveServers.
    maxNActiveServers is set on each work space.

Some XML attributes in this area...

maxNActiveServers="99" maxNAvailableServers="3" maxNClientsPerServer="0" nAvailableServers="1" name="Navigator" serverLogFile="Nav_%i.log" serverMode="reusable" serverPortsRange="" serverPriority="0"

Regards,
    Hein