Data Replication 2

Thread: automating Attunity driver install

codellama is offline Junior Member

automating Attunity driver install

This post is going to be a shot in the dark, but hopefully someone out there can help.

I'm attempting to automate the installation of the Attunity (v3.0) Oracle drivers on Windows 2012R2 (SQL2014) and Windows 2016 (SQL2016) platforms and running into odd behavior. The installer MSI doesn't behave like normal MSIs in that the installer presents a popup about restarting the SSIS service after installation. The problem is that the usual '/q' or '/qn' arguments to perform a silent install don't suppress this popup and without satisfying this popup (clicking either yes/no), the install is put in a suspended state.

I started digging into the MSI to see if there may be a property that suppresses this popup, but so far I haven't found anything useful.

In this scenario, I'm using puppet as the automation tool and a normal execution line like "msiexec /i 'path/to/msi/' /qn" results in an infinite puppet run since that popup doesn't get an answer (and isn't suppressed).

I have tried a few messy hacks like spinning off an new msiexec process and letting it run without confirming success. While this seems to get the driver onto the server, it still leaves the installation suspended and prevents the use of msiexec for future installations.

Anyone out there run into anything similar and found a way around this?

codellama is offline Junior Member
    Update to this in case anyone else stumbles upon this post looking for help. After spending a good bit of time trying to dissect the installer, it seems that these drivers have a Custom Action buried in the msi to present the popup reminding the user to restart the SSIS service (and prompting if you wish to do so now). Since it's a Custom Action, it apparently doesn't get silenced by the /quiet switch. So, to get around this questionable practice, we had to use something like AutoIT to interact with the presented GUI.

If anyone from Attunity is reading this, can you PLEASE stop doing this and update your driver install to allow for fully automated installations? As the industry is moving to more automation at scale, things like this either drive customers away from using a product or make them create messy hacks to get around it.

The popup itself isn't bad, just please use standard coding practices that let the /quiet flag in msiexec (MSInstaller) suppress it.