Thread: ORA-01406: fetched column value was truncated

esanford is offline Junior Member

ORA-01406: fetched column value was truncated

We've been loading a ~32 million row table from an Oracle 11 appliance to our SQL Server 2014 Enterprise server nightly. Recently the Oracle Source task, which uses the Attunity connector 3.0, started giving the error "Oracle Source [471]: OCI error encountered. ORA-01406: fetched column value was truncated" about half way through the load. I've tried everything I can think of to make sure the SQL destination table has appropriate types and sizes, but the error is happening in the source task, not the destination. I don't have direct access to edit the source Oracle table (though I could work with our Oracle team to see what they can do). Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I can't think of a way to even find out what column, much less row, is causing this or why.

esanford is offline Junior Member
    To follow up for anyone that might encounter this, it looks as if multibyte characters began showing up in the table, which were not being handled correctly by the Attunity Connector (or maybe the Oracle client behind it).

We worked around the error by asserting the offending column to a specific size using the substrb() function. So for example with the statement "select substrb(columnname, 1, 90) from tablename". With that, the ORA-01406 error does not occur. We used size 90 in the substrb function because it is 3x the size in characters of the column, which makes it large enough to accommodate 30 3-byte characters.