Get Data Moving 1

Thread: Oracle varchar2 mapped as DT_WSTR

SteveP is offline Junior Member

Oracle varchar2 mapped as DT_WSTR

I seem to be having an issue with the Microsoft SSIS Oracle Connector (ver 1.1). I have to admit that I'm not that knowledgeable about Oracle so it may be more of an Oracle issue. I have two Oracle databases that I'm connecting to. When I connect to one Oracle database the varchar2 data types are picked up by the Attunity driver as DT_STR, yet on the other database varchar2 is picked up as DT_WSTR (unicode) - I've no idea why?? If I use the standard Microsoft OLE DB connector for Oracle on this second database it pickes up varchar2 correctly as DT_STR

I can only assume that the Attunity connector is picking something up from the Oracle database that is making it interpret varchar2 as unicode.

While I can find workarounds (either use the Microsoft OLE DB connector for Oracle or do a data conversion), I think I must be missing something here that would allow me to use the Attunity connector without having an unecessary data conversion.

Anyone got any ideas?

Gadi.Farhat is offline Development Manager
    Hi Steve,

The difference is most likely related to the codepage settings on the databases.

For more information, see:
    http://www.attunity.com/forums/micro...able-1606.html

Regards,

Gadi
    To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us

SteveP is offline Junior Member
    Yes Gadi, it certainly seems to be related to code pages, but I can't see any way to make the Attunity Source component behave in a way to correctly see that varchar2 data type is DT_STR and not DT_WSTR as it mistakenly believes.

On the Oracle database that is providing incorrect datatype information the

NLS_CHARACTERSET = WE8MSWIN1252
    NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = AL16UTF16
    NLS_LANGUAGE = ENGLISH

While on the Oracle database that is correctly showing varchar2 as DT_STR

NLS_CHARACTERSET = WE8ISO8859P1
    NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = AL16UTF16
    NLS_LANGUAGE = AMERICAN

Any ideas as to how this might be resolved?

Gadi.Farhat is offline Development Manager
    Hi Steve,

As you can see in the other thread I mentioned, the SSIS Oracle connector doesn't change the exposed column type according to the database codepage. The behaviour you are describing is more appropriate to the OLEDB components which expose VARCHAR2 columns as DT_WSTR when the database codepage is unicode.

Regards,

Gadi
    To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us