Get Data Moving 1
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: UNICODE problem using Attunity 2.0 connection to Teradata

  1. #1
    HelmutR is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    UNICODE problem using Attunity 2.0 connection to Teradata

    Hi,

    I'm trying to connect in SSIS to a Teradata 14.00 to get data via the Attunity driver 2.0. (using TPT 14.10) It's working well and the performance is amazing. But there's a problem for me:
    The VIEW that I'm querying is defined returning the string with CHARSET ASCII (default in our Teradata). In the destination the strings should be in UNICODE format. I thought the parameter UseUTF8Charset (default setting is true) in Teradata Connector would handle this for me?! But if I check the metadata of my source the datatype is DT_STR. That's why the connection to the target fails with "cannot convert between unicode and non-unicode".
    Does anyone has an idea how to handle this? Using the .NET provider everything went fine with the CHARSET ...:confused:

    Thanks in advance
    Helmut

  2. #2
    HelmutR is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi,

    I checked the TPT LogFile. There you can find that on Teradata side the session character set is UTF8.
    The SSIS Teradata Source/Destination gets the metadata information via ODBC. Maybe the option UseUTF8Characters is not used by the ODBC connection?

    Best regards
    Helmut

  3. #3
    dmbelue is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Add Data Conversion Step to your SSIS flow

    Hey,

    To fix this problem just add a Data Conversion Step between the source and destination in your Data flow. The Data type should be set to unicode[DT_WSTR] on the column you need to transform. You only have to fix the column in question. Then in your mappings in the destination step use the new "Copy of" column.

    Hope this helps.

    dbelue.

  4. #4
    HelmutR is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi dmbelue,
    thanks for your answer! That's normally not a problem to do the conversion between source and target. But in my case I have an existing project with about 50 packages and altogether about 1000 varchar columns using the .NET provider for Teradata. Changing this means a lot of manual work that heads to an intensive testing. I wanted to test the Attunity Connector to speed up the data transfer (it really does!) for this project. But nobody would give me the time to do all the manual adjustments ...

    Best regards
    Helmut

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •