Load Ingest Data

Thread: ODBC driver causing SQL to crash intermittantly

smellypom is offline Junior Member

ODBC driver causing SQL to crash intermittantly

Hi There,

We're testing a new process that uses Attunity driver via a linked server in SQL 2008 R2.

Most of the time this is running with no issues at all, however occasionally SQL will crash with the error below posted to the event log.

Faulting application name: sqlservr.exe, version: 2009.100.4000.0, time stamp: 0x4fecc5ba
    Faulting module name: nvbase.dll, version: 5.3.3.2, time stamp: 0x4f69ad71
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000000000019da3b
    Faulting process id: 0x14fc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8dc09d3a32d1
    Faulting application path: M:\MSSQL\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\sqlserv r.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Attunity\Clients\ODBC_3.5\bin\nvbase.dll
    Report Id: d054cf53-fac7-11e2-a1b7-005056b216f4

No errrors are reported in SQL Error logs or anywhere else that I can see other than to say that SQL Server stopped unexpectedly.

I've seen issues posted elsewhere with a similar problem with the MySQL ODBC drivers but cannot find any info regarding the Attunity drivers, this was found to be a fault with the driver and the error was repeatable, our problem is intermittant so harder to identify. I've tried to turn on ODBC tracing but this hasn't been successful, i.e. no logs produced.

SQL is running SP2 and is a fairly fresh install, no other processes are running on the box. The calls to Attunity are simple select statements via stored procs. Driver version is 3.5 which I've been advised is the latest version.

I have recently updated the Allow InProcess flag in the Linked Server provider to remove the check mark as this has been mentioned in other threads to see if this helps. Other than that, can anyone provide any other suggestions on what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

In cases such as the one you have reported, it is better to run the linked server out of process so as to avoid destabilizing SQL Server's main process.

To identify the root cause, the easiest way is to use Microsoft's free DebugDiag tool that will help you set up a rule for what to do when the executable that invoke the Attunity driver crashes. Normally you set it to produce a min dump which captures the stack at the point of error - this stack can then be analyzed to find the route cause.
    By Dror Harari

To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us

smellypom is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the feedback Dror,

I'd updated the linked server to run outside SQL processor space as you suggested on Friday and had another incidence of Attunity driver crashing over the weekend. This time it didn't bring down SQL but caused other issues with deadlocked schedulers as a result of the calling application not getting results from the linked server.

I'll try to set up DebugDiag and see where that gets me.

Cheers,
    Tim