Load Ingest Data

Thread: Prescribed Data Source Setup?

kegesdal is offline Junior Member

Prescribed Data Source Setup?

We have been using the connect(now server) product for a couple of years now... My question is do we have our data sources setup in the prescribed way (whatever that may be)? Our current setup does work and is as follows...

ALPHA Box
    -->Nav binding (Navigator Workspace)
    ---->All data sources setup as ADD-RMS & Read Only
    ------>Tables metadata all point directly to the data file on the Alpha

-->Views binding (Navigator Workspace)
    ---->All data sources setup as VIRTUAL sources
    ------>Tables metadata point directly to the data file on the Alpha
    ***here we limit the number of tables as needed....we simply copy the table from the Nav binding and paste into the tables folder on the views binding... This is what is a bit odd to me...

Each User Windows Box
    -->Nav Binding
    ---->Appropriate data source shortcuts from the ALPHA
    -->Views Binding
    ---->Appropriate data source shortcuts from the ALPHA

Again I'm not sure we have the optimal setup...so any guidance would be helpful.

Regards,
    Kenny

Dear Kenny,

I am not sure I understand your question. There is no optimal way of doing things in general - if I know better your goals, I may be able to comment on your question with more specificity.

You mentioned that you work with the Navigator workspace both with NAV and Views bindings. This is not feasible as a workspace must explicitly specify a binding to work with and failing to do so it will be working with the NAV binding only.

It is also not clear to me what are you using the virtual datasources for - if it is to restrict access to specific tables only, then the workspace you work with should specify the workspace database (the datasource containing the virtual database definitions). And you mention many of these - does each user get a personal vitual database - do you have corresponding workspace for each?

>> ...here we limit the number of tables as needed....we simply copy the
    >> table from the Nav binding and paste into the tables folder on the views
    >> binding... This is what is a bit odd to me...

This also confuses me - what definitions are you copying and pasting? Are you referring to the Studio? If so, then this is not recommended since it means you create many copies of the same metadata, something that makes maintaining the metadata in a consistent way very hard. Normally in a virtual database you create synonyms to the target tables when not in virtual database mode and then when all is ready, you switch to a virtual database mode (e.g. by using a workspace that defines the datasources and the workspaceDatabase). This way, changes to the metadata are done in one places only.
    By Dror Harari

To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us