Thread: Error Configuring New CDC Service - "FAILED TO START THE CDC SERVICE"

DougW is offline US Technical Sales

Error Configuring New CDC Service - "FAILED TO START THE CDC SERVICE"

Problem:

When using Oracle CDC for SSIS (or any of the CDC for SSIS products), I try to create a new CDC Service using the ‘CDC Service Configuration Wizard’. After supplying the source Oracle DB Server information and user credentials, and successfully passing the ‘Test Environment’ check, I get an error after clicking ‘Next’ on the ‘CDC Service’ step. This is when I am expecting to see the ‘Select Tables’ step where I would see a list of tables from the source database to choose from to create my CDC solution.

The error message says:
    ‘Failed to start the CDC Service. Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed. Click Next to retry, or Cancel to exit the wizard.’

Cause:
    This is most often caused when the SSIS project has been created on a shared or network drive.

The ‘CDC Service’ step of the ‘CDC Service Configuration Wizard’ creates a Windows CDC Service. This service is looking for configuration information that is stored under the SSIS project folder, and may not be available on a network drive.

Solution:

Try re-creating the SSIS project in a folder on a local drive.
    To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us

JasonP is offline Junior Member

Same Error using C:\ drive on Virtual server

I am getting a similar error message on my Development environment which is a Windows 2008 R2 virtual server. My SSIS project file - "AttunityCDC_test" is saved in a folder on the C:\ drive of the server at C:\CDCProjects\.

The exact error message is:
    "Failed to start CDC service.
    ServiceAttunityOracleCDC_AttunityCDC_test was not found on computer '.'.
    Click Next to retry or Cancel to exit the wizard."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Gadi.Farhat is offline Development Manager
    Hi Jason,

The CDC configurarion wizard register a CDC service. The problem may may be that the wizard doesn't have proveleges to register the service. Right click BIDS and select Run as administrator and retry...

Regards,

Gadi
    To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us

JasonP is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Gadi. That worked. I will create a shortcut to BIDS that has run as administrator in the comand in order to avoid this in the future.

Jason