Load Ingest Data

Thread: Fastest Linked Server Provider to connect with Oracle

DanielBos is offline Junior Member

Fastest Linked Server Provider to connect with Oracle

Dear all,

I am looking for a linked server provider. The problem is that I currently connect to an Oracle database by use of Oracle Provider for OLE DB which performance is very, very bad. Therefore I would like to try the Attunity providers for this.

Can anyone tell me of there will be a performance difference when using Attunity in my situation?

(Maybe a stupid question) Which provider for a linked server in SQL Server 2008 will be the fastest? (OLE DB/ODBC etc).

Looking forward to your reply,

Daniel

Linked servers are only OLEDB providers so to use ODBC you need to go through a translation layer - MSDASQL (Microsoft OLEDB to ODBC bridge) which may add its own overhead.

Implementing OLEDB is harder than implementing ODBC and the specification is much clearer for ODBC which means that by letting Microsoft does the OLEDB work and letting the vendor do the ODBC work, you might get more features supported (in general).

As for performance, give Attunity Connect a try, we do have many customers using this feature. Note that sometimes, SQL Server does not "push down" the query to the linked server and instead uses a scan strategy to read from the linked server - this may result in very bad performance. Make sure to minimize the reasons for SQL Server to do this (e.g., collation mismatch).

By Dror Harari

To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us

DanielBos is offline Junior Member
    Thank you DrorHarar, I will give Attunity Connect a try!

Do you know where I can download the Attunity Connect trial version? I have requested one (last friday) but I didn't got a response yet.

Regards,

Daniel

Costi Zaboura is offline World Wide Support Manager
    Pls contact our Sales offices according as follows:

http://www.attunity.com/offices_and_distributors

thx
    Costi
    To Find Out more About Attunity Technology:
    Attunity
    or:
    Contact Us